Whatsapp, the popular and most favorite messenger application in this world. People preferring Whatsapp more than other social media platforms because of its features and user-friendly interface. WhatsApp is very easy for every user. It does not need any basic skills. Nowadays, the WhatsApp application is one of an essential app in our life. Every day we are sending texts, photos, videos, documents, locations, links, animated Gifs, Stickers and more on WhatsApp. All the files we received in WhatsApp is stored in our device storage. Sometimes your phone running out of space. In this situation, you can save some space by clearing unwanted media files from WhatsApp. Let’s know how to check, clear WhatsApp data and Free up space.
Clear Storage Space used by WhatsApp App on Android
Most of the WhatsApp users have WhatsApp groups. Sometimes the same videos may be received in multiple groups. Comparatively video files are larger than other media files. So, if you received a 10 MB video file in two groups, the file will save in two different folders and it consumes total 20MB from your device storage. This kind of unwanted duplicate files is the main cause of storage issues.
WhatsApp provides an option to check how much space you are used for every single WhatsApp contacts. And you can also clear WhatsApp data as well. Here I will share you the step by step instructions to check and clear WhatsApp media files from WhatsApp.
- First, open your WhatsApp app.
- You can see the three-dotted menu icon at the top right corner of your app.
- Tap on the icon and choose Settings.
- In WhatsApp settings, you can see Account, Chats, Notification, Data and Storage usage, Help options.
- Tap on the Data and storage usage option.
- Here you can see your network usage and storage usage. Also here you can change Media auto-download settings, Call settings as well.
- Tap on the Storage Usage option.
- Then it will list your contacts as per how much storage space consumed in descending order.
- When you tap on a particular contact, it will show you how much text messages shared, contacts, locations, number of photos, stickers, GIFs, Videos, Audio messages, and documents.
- At the end of this informations, you can see a FREE UP SPACE option.
- Tap on the FREE UP SPACE option.
- Then you can select the items.
- After select the items to delete, tap on DELETE ITEM. It will delete from your phone storage and get free space.
This method only works on Android devices. You can simply use it to clear storage space on your Android phone.