A passport is a travel document issued by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). It verifies the identity and nationality of the holder for the purpose of international travel. It also grants safe passage and protection in a foreign land. You must have a passport to travel aboard for business, family visit, medical attendance, study and another purpose under the government’s protection.
In India, a passport is a form of identification issued to Indian citizensand can be used to get documentation like the Aadhaar Card and number. To avail passport in India, you required to submit certain documents. Here are the list of important documents required for applying a fresh passport.
- Address Proof: You can submit Aadhaar card, Bank passbook, Voter id with present address or parent’s passport an address proof.
- Age Proof: You can use School leaving certificate, Birth certificate, Election photo identity card, Driving license, Pan card or Aadhaar card as age proof for the passport.
How to apply for a Passport in India
Given below are the steps required to apply online for an Indian Passport.
- You can apply online by registering on the Passport Seva Online Portalhttps://portal2.passportindia.gov.in.
- If you are a first-time applicant you have to create a fresh account. Create a login ID, set a password and enter the captcha code and enter all the required details. Click on “Register”.
- Then login to the portal with the registered Login Id.
- Click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport” link.
- Enter all the required details and then submit.
- On the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” screen, click on “Pay and Schedule Appointment“ link to schedule an appointment. Online Payment can be made using Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard and Visa), Internet Banking or SBI Bank Challan.
- Now print the application receipt that contains Application Reference Number (ARN)/Appointment Number.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Regional Passport Office (RPO) with the proof of your submitted application along with original documents.
- The next step is police verification. Police may either come to your home or they will call you at the police station. The local police station verifies your details and sends it to the Commissioner’s office, the commissioner’s office then forwards it to the ministry.
- After police verification report has been submitted, if your reports are clear then you will about to get a passport.
The procedure takes an average period of two weeks from the date of submitting the application.